Tuesday, December 21, 2004

The 'O' Antiphons; "Rising Sun"

BODY

O Rising Sun, you are the splendor of eternal light and the sun of justice. O come and enlighten those who sit in darkness and in the shadow of death.


* * * * *



Not much is written for this one.

This morning, when I got up, our apartment was surprisingly chilly. I put on an extra shirt to stay warm as I moved about, getting ready for the day. Since it's the shortest day of the year today (the winter solstice), the sky was darker than I've seen it since the end of daylight savings time.

As I finally hurried out the door, I glanced out our front window. It faces east, over two blocks of residential mid- and high-rises, then falls out over the lake extending to the horizon. That lake. The sky was turning its colors from soft blue to gold to pearl, and it had grown light enough for me to see that the thundrous waves had finally been subdued. Lake Michigan at the Chicago shoreline has frozen into a flat, broad, pale sheet with wisps of mist curling upward.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home