Wednesday, December 08, 2004

A slightly more restful... restful.

DIARY

Last night was a blast...
I got home early, made some French Onion soup (every time the leaves finally fall off the trees, I get gradually interested in cooking again), and caught up on some reading. I worked on my applications.

Then Sam got home, and soon we were joined by Jessica, a friend from Flint.

We sipped Sam's quality brandy and ran through long lists of people we had in common. I realized for the 100th time how much more of a home I found at Flint Central than at Flushing. Here was a school from which I still maintain around a dozen friendships, even though I've been in the building twice as many times. Contrast that with Flushing which, despite a four-year process, there not a single soul I'm still in touch with.

Jessica left after midnight, and Sam went to sleep. I got all of my clothes and lunch packed up last night so I could sleep in the next morning. I also decided to try breakfast for once, so I boiled an egg and set a cup of fresh coffee in the fridge. I slept in until 6:50 and made it out the door by 7:00.

Today is a Holy Day of Obligation, which is Roman Catholic for "Non-Sunday Day on Which you Must Go To Mass or Suffer Free-Floating Guilt". It was the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, during which we celebrate the birth of Mary without sin. The sermon was compelling and the music spectacular.

One of the perks of working on the Mag Mile is that I attend such events at Holy Name Cathedral, the center of the Archdiocese of Chicago. It's a magnificant structure, if you overlook the horrid 60s renovations.

Outside:


Inside:


Inside pre-renovation:



Vatican II was a good thing, I believe, on the whole. I just wish it hadn't coincided with the worst decade for good taste the world has ever known.

Yeah, yeah, I'll write about art and politics again soon.

With all this wedding planning and grad school applications, I'm using this blog to kick back a bit more.

~ Connor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home