Tuesday, January 11, 2005

My pre-New Years, New Years, and post-New Years

DIARY

Continuing adventures from the Journal:

I drove to Findlay with a sleeping Jess and Julie, then Julie drove to Zanesville.
That night I met Jeff along with his friend, Matt, and girlfriend, Chelsea. Jess' grandfather was in the hospital for surgery. We played mario Kart. I stayed up 'til 5 finishing Washington.
Friday, we scrambled about trying to mail out washington, while my parents did the same for me in Michigan. Once we'd sent the package out, we visited Jess' Aunt Polly (in a high rise Zanesville apartment and her charming rooster), and her grandfather.

Back home, the whole crowd met up and went out to a wings place with good food and beer and plenty of glowing Ohio New Years cheer, but unfortunately some awful karaoke (country, mostly) including the worst rendition of Baby Got Back ever.

I also sucked at Ms. Pac Man that night.

We divided and redivided that night, but ultimately ended up at the house with Mr. J and Jess. We watched the Starsky and Hutch movie, then watched ball drop via Regis Feldman (despite Dick Clark consolations from everybody of Donald Trump to Snoop Dogg to John Travolta).

At midnight, we ate grapes and drank cheap champagne and called my parents, grandma, and aunt, who had shrimp and champagne.

"Nasty Spumanti!"

"White Trashfendel!"

"I Can't Believe It's Not Vinegar!"

So 2005 is born. I'm sure it will be tragic and spectacular.

I was woken up in the middle of the night by rebellious teenagers, but my curmudgeony self won out. Hey: age happens, so make it work.

On Noc. 11, we went over to Becky and Bill's, where we visited, talked home ownership, weather, and had a very nice visist. We were joined by the ubiquitous teenagers (I am a curmudgeon, aren't I?) and had kraut, corn, potatoes, and pot roast.

Great food this year.

Also: for Christmas the Fultons got me a tool set and a sock monkey I wore in my shirt pocket.

Jess and I went to 5:15 Mass, meeting Mr. J. there. This year the feast of Mary, Mother of God is subsumed by the Epiphany. Sorry, Mary. The tsunami was only briefly mentioned in prayers. The homily rang, however, with invitations.

But I still had the Columbia app. to finish by Monday.

On Sunday we left Zanesville at 10, and after a very efficient drive, we clocked into Chicago around 3:30 CST.

And now I can stop, so I will.

Let me check...

Still beautiful eight stories down: silent, bright with snow...

1:05. I've been writing awhile.

WHO WANTS TO BE A STAR?

That was it.

~ Connor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home