Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Necrus 9, 28.

DIARY

- THE CATHOLIC CHURCH IS OBJECTIVELY DISORDERED - I'll probably spend most of my downtime this afternoon writing a response to the Vatican document on homosexuals and seminaries. It adds gay men (described as "objectively disordered") to the ranks of women and married men who are not permitted to serve through Priesthood. Take a look at how the list of those who could serve as priests has diminished over the centuries.
- THANKSGIVING WEEKEND
On Wednesday, I got out of work early, so I headed home, took a nap, and spent a couple hours cleaning. Julie and Summer arrived, and we made use of our futon for the first time. That night we watched most of Team America World Police which I'd also like to talk about if I ever have the time.
On Thanksgiving, we got up abominably early to attend the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. We watched at Times Square, oddly enough just seven short blocks (these aren't Chicago blocks) from the point where the balloon cable knocked the lamphead into the crowd. We didn't hear anything about it, however. The parade was more interesting than I'd expected. It's different in person than on TV; the crowd is so thick you're standing several rows back, and the balloons are so huge and looming they seem to bear down on you, blocking out the sky, as they drift past. Afterwards, we ate lunch at Bennigan's, and the others went for a walk around Midtown. I was feeling sick, so I returned home and took a nap. Later, we spent over an hour on the phone with our relatives, ate lasagna (with ground turkey!) and finished the movie. Then we watched Back to the Beach, which was fun, and involved Pee Wee Herman.
On Friday, we took the subway downtown around noon and rode the Staten Island Ferry, managing in the process to be dragged into a political conversation with an adamant Shrevport, La ex-patriot. Strange. We walked through Wall Street, the WTC site, and City Hall Park, and grabbed a bite of pizza. Then we continued north to Washington Square Park before catching a ride home. I was going to cook a chicken, but we were all tired and short several ingredients. We ended up ordering Dominos instead. We played MASH. Then Jess and Julie and I watched Willy Wonka, the Depp version.
Saturday and Sunday were frustrating... I didn't get as much work done as I'd wanted. I did, however, finish my last submission for the semester to my writing workshop. It's nice to have that over with.
- I think I prefer quarters to semesters. It's easier to maintain bursts of energy for ten weeks instead of fifteen.
- DILEMMAS - Jess and I had a minor crisis solifying our lease. It's solidified. That's why I was so stand offish yesterday. For those of you not familiar with New York, you typically have to pay one-months rent to a broker for no service other than their arranging your paperwork. That's three months rent, or $2,940 + credit check + banking fees to officially "move in." Well, we're moved in.
- UPDATES FOR NECRUS - Many people who have been posting frequently have ceased to do so, and there's been a general migration from the "posts frequently" to "infrequently" lists. I think that bloggers are like automobiles on the expressway. They rove in packs. The "cool in..." are special this month. Check them out. The images at top are from our Thanksgiving Day parade exposition, with Santa Claus at left.
I'm also replacing some of the "of the week" categories with more interesting selections. For example, the word of the days essentially paralleled those provided by Google. See what I'm using instead.
- THE BACKGROUND - Normally I take the pictures posted here myself, or draw from the public domain. I'm made a bit of an exception this time, as there was no way I could plausibly take a picture of the North Pole. The photo is pulled from the Arctic theme page from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. It will be up through the end of Necrus.

LAST WORDS OF THE WEEK
Narvaez, Ramon Maria (1800-1868)
"I do not have to forgive my enemies. I have had them all shot."

QUESTION OF THE DAY
Assuming you can neither forgive nor shoot your enemies, what would you do instead?

END OF POST.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home