Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Adventure in Old-School Hip Hop.

CONCEPT

During the month of Lumas (June 23 - July 22), I began an exploration of Hip Hop. I had three goals:

#1. To listen to a broad spectrum Old School Hip Hop (pre-1985).
#2. To listen to a broad spectrum from the Golden Age (1985-1993).
#3. To take in all four elements (DJing, MCing, B-Boying, and graffiti).

This was, perhaps, over-ambitious, but the divides between the goals are somewhat hazy and arbitrary, so I erred on the side of definition. As it was I wish I would have deemphazied some of #1 (Kurtis Blow and the Sugar Hill Gang) in favor of some of #2 (Big Daddy Kane, etc.). I only dabbled in #3, but I've got some prior knowledge of all three, and anyway, I'm living in the birthplace of all these things. When my pocketbook got low, I made it up by listening to some Beastie Boys I already had.

Hopefully I'll make this up at a later date.

Here's, then, what I took in:


  • Afrika Bambaataa, Planet Rock

  • Beastie Boys, Licensed to Ill

  • Beastie Boys, Paul's Boutique

  • Beastie Boys, Check Your Head

  • Beastie Boys, Ill Communication

  • Beastie Boys, Hello Nasty

  • Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, Adventures on the Wheels of Steel: The Best Of

  • Kurtis Blow, The Best Of

  • Kurtis Blow Presents the History of Hip Hop, vol. 2

  • Kurtis Blow Presents the History of Hip Hop, vol. 3

  • LL Cool J, All World: The Best Of

  • LL Cool J, Mama Said Knock You Out

  • Public Enemy, It Takes a Nation of Millions to Hold Us Back

  • Run DMC, Greatest Hits

  • Sugar Hill Gang, The Best Of



My favorites of the early old school, besides Grandmaster Flash and Bambaataa, which are obvious, were the Sequence and the Funky Four + One More. But Public Enemy was the greatest discovery in this round.

END OF POST.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home