Wednesday, March 14, 2007

In March, 1991.

DIARY

I was thirteen.

7th grade, 2nd semester.

I had been kept out of doing any theater because of bad grades, and my Mission (to get a "real cool girlfriend") had only met with occasional and haphazard success. I think it was roughly at this time that I briefly dated T. She dumped me after about 20 hours - mainly because dozens of kids had been harassing her over the inexplicable choice - and I was very mean in response. I'm kind of impressed that she actually decided to forgive me, and we remained on good terms from that point onward. For awhile, we were actually pretty good friends.

Putting on deodorant became necessary.

Classes:
  • Physical Science - Mrs. Horton

  • Literature - Mrs. Borek

  • Phys. Ed - Mr. Kelly (Ms. Ebeling)*

  • Cadet Band - Mr. Minert

  • Math - Mrs. Brust

  • Language Arts - Mrs. Borek

  • Social Studies - Mr. Dion


*
This was actually a weird situation. There were too many boys in my P.E. section, so five or six of us were sent off with the girls. We all did the same activities, so it didn't affect things much.
Socially, it didn't affect things much either.

Classes were forty-eight minutes long.

I think I've got at least a couple of the classes in the wrong order, but I'm not sure how.

I had rotated into a new group of friends at school: Mark P, Jim McC., and Justin G., among others: also, Nicole G, who I talked with through Cadet Band. Cadet Band was a great class for conversation. I eventually came to like Mr. Dion, but I was very uncooperative during the class, and we argued a lot. My favorite teacher was Mrs. Borek, who gave us creative writing assignments from time to time, though there wasn't any teacher I really didn't like.

I had not only beaten Megaman 3, but I was able to win each day. I really loved the music for Topman and Needleman, but the graphics for Geminiman were impressive for an 8-bit system.

I was staggering toward a massive Dungeons and Dragons campaign, but this was stymied because I didn't have all the books or the money to buy them. My friends may have considered lending me theirs, but a combination of their living in Flint and my bad track record with returning borrowed things didn't help.

I was also becoming more politically aware at this time, though very slowly.

I was really into the show Night Court.

Where were you in March, 1991?

END OF POST.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home