Monday, November 19, 2007

Gravitane 28, 30.



- On Friday I defeated and destroyed the Met. That's right, after six visits I've traversed the two million square feet of this thing and took in a good chunk of the two million objects on display. The only sections I missed during these thirty-six hours of doom were the closed exhibits in 19th century painting, the Lehman wing, and the American Wing. The Egyptians, the Greeks, the Romans, the Africans, the Native Americans, the European Americans, the Modern Artists, the Koreans, the Chinese, the Japanese, the Muslims, the Sumerians and descendents, they Mediterraneans... the entire Met: Pwned. By me.
On Saturday my wife and I went to hear Marco read at Kenny's Castaways, and then after a quick dinner with Marco and Scott, we headed up to the Upper West Side to see Beowulf. It wasn't, in the end, more or less faithful to the poem than I'd expected, and the attention to psychological depth was a small piece of disappointment. Still, the effects were eye-popping I was impressed by the films "fidelity in spirit."
The next day I went to church and we went to Marco and Scott's for a burrito meal that Hannah prepared (and Marco's roasted chestnuts). We also played a game of History in the World. I (per typical) came in last, but my Scythians survived until the industrial revolutions, and my renegade Romans were able to eke out a meager existence in the hills of Macedonia for 1500 years before entering into World War I on the side of the Allies. I think.

- QUESTION OF THE DAY -
What should I do on the night that I get back into Chicago?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home