Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Concept: Here I Go, Playing Star Again.



In the worst of St. Seger.

So. The blog is live again, no thanks to my old server Simple Host, who 1) lost a large number of files one two occasions, only attempted to restore them on one and even then threatened to charge me a $50 penalty for their trouble (nevermind that I was paying roughly 50% higher than what I'm paying now), and 2) failed to update my account information after two attempts, meaning that my domain registration expired. This is how I lost hereisnowhy.

As for my new server, Bluehost, it's early in the relationship and they just got my money. However, they've already presided over a difficult and time-consuming content transfer, helped me change domain names, and have been professional and efficient throughout the process. A good sign of things to come.

Hereisnowhy.com was not a great domain name to begin with. People didn't know if it was "here" or "hear," "no" or "know," "why" or "y." It wasn't clear what it stood for. My wife suggested urbantasm.com as an enticing alternative... and I thought about it seriously... but I ultimately went with the ever practical connorcoyne.com. I figure that if I can keep the content of the website interesting, it doesn't matter how boring the url is.

It would be nice if I found a way for this website to cover its own expenses, which is currently about twenty-five cents a day. I'm planning on starting up a parallel blog which will maintain book reviews (some of which I've already written) and feature ads. It will be updated as needed, but since it's supposed to earn a quarter a day, I don't intend to sink a lot of time into it. When I have this up and running, I will let you know.

In the meantime, there is another route to a self-sustaining site, and one which is ultimately more important because it also applies to my career as a writer. I need to effectively use this site to promote my writing (specifically my novels and fiction) and as a way to obtain writing commissions. I'm not a freelance writer per se, and this is a very particular niche I'm filling: Talented Literary Experimentalist and Opinionated Guy.

With this in mind, I humbly request any Friends / Advocates to update / add links to connorcoyne.com, and to just generally share the blog and website with anyone you might think is interested. The same goes for individual posts of interest, etc.

And of course, your comments and suggestions are always welcome.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home