Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Concept: Blue Skies Falling Blog Infiltrated.



On May 15, 2009 my personal website (connorcoyne.com) was infected by a malware program associated with Martuz .cn that inserted scripts into dynamic and static files at over 1500 distinct sites. The bug is discussed at http://blog.unmaskparasites.com/2009/05/18/martuz-cn-is-a-new-incarnation-of-gumblar-exploit/. Evidently the infection isn't the result of any specific action on my part. I was setting up a book review blog through WordPress (using the toughest password I've ever come up with) and this was what the program targeted. The infection caused Google to blacklist my site for viewers' protection, and when Twitter picked up on the Google listing, it suspended my account. So far Facebook has not responded, but to say this is a major headache would be an understatement.

Sam from Forge 22 (http://forge22.com) has helped me with these problems -- he's a great guy and a great designer, and you should throw him some business if you can.

Bottom Line: connorcoyne.com, connorcoyne.com/blog, and associated sites are safe to visit, but Google has not lifted their warning yet, and I don't know what the timetable on that will be. Until it's lifted, however, there isn't any reason to visit. The damage was extensive and will take time to repair. In the meantime, I suggest you check back from time to time, and I will post an announcement as soon as things are a little bit more normal around here.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

~ Connor

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home