Tuesday, April 27, 2004

Spring Cleaning: List No. 1 ~ Rationale, Part 1

CONCEPT

How I arrived at my answers.

The 5 states I'd neglect.

My answers here were informed primarily by one encompassing assumption, that I have seen to be true in my experience: every place has something interesting, worthwhile, and worth seeing. No place is devoid of interest.

My answers, then, evolved around an evolution of that thought. Namely, what choices will enable me to miss out on the *least*.

Many of my friends, for example, chose entirely planes states. Some lists included: North Dakota, South Dakota, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and/or Kansas. Why? Because they feature low populations, few or no major cities, a flat, featureless terrain, an agrarian economy, and a rural mindset. Which is true. But something can be learned from that... something is interesting.

I chose Kansas and North Dakota. Why?
South Dakota, being the site of natural wonders, specifically the Black Hills and Badlands, and some of the most amazing karst landscape in the US is right off this list. Desolation is amazingly compelling. It's close to sci-fi and/or the future.
I didn't want to cut Oklahoma because of the richness of its native American culture (being the last great swath of reservation be "given" away).
And I have an interest in Nebraska, if only for Chimney Rock and Omaha, the meat-packing center of the country.
That said, most of what is interesting about Kansas can be observed in Nebraska or Oklahoma. Most of what is interesting about North Dakota can be found in its neighbors. So they're on the list.
Kansas, you offer dinosaur bones, moon rocks, award winning elderberry wine, great works of art, and the perfect fishing hole. I'm sorry.
North Dakota, as much as I appreciate Lewis and Clark, Sakakawea, George Custer, Sitting Bull and Theodore Roosevelt, it was never meant to be.

All of the westward states offer something remarkable I did not want to pass up.

California, Hawaii, Alaska, and Wyoming are hopefully obvious.
Idaho and Montana have amazing state parks.
Washington and Oregon are culturally compelling, as sort of a distortion-driven drizzly interpretation of East Coast hippies, and I've always wanted to see North America's temperate rain forest.
Utah is home of the Church of LDS, which I've always been intrigued by, having many members among my friends and family.
Denver is just the coolest city ever, and Colorado the most diverse state ever, geographically.
Arizona and New Mexico are both scenically spectacular, but I'm also intrigued by the Mexican American and Southwest Native culture.
And Texas... I have a morbid fascination with Texas, and Albany in particular... or is it Austin? Whatever.

Yes, I am messing with Texas.
Why, simply because I am told not to.

Progressing east, then, the next state to make the neglect list is Indiana, cut for the same reasons as North Dakota and Kansas. Illinois is similar, but with Chicago. Indianapolis is alright, I suppose, but is outdone a few hours east by Columbus, Ohio. Michigan is much more diverse, geographically, culturally, economically, and historically. Northwest Indiana, with its tragic relationship to steel is interesting, but not interesting enough to make the state one of the lucky 45. Indiana is truly the crossroads of America; people cross on their way elsewhere.
Indiana, Hoosiers, goodbye.

The whole south galvinizes me.
As does the rest of the midwest and New England.
But I have two states left.

What is interesting about New Hampshire can generally be found in Vermont, Libertarians notwithstanding.
Connecticut? I would like to see New Haven, but not more than the shores of South Carolina or Mammoth Caves in Kentucky, the only real competition.

So that is why I chose not to visit those five states.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home