Wednesday, November 03, 2004

voting out of sequence

Event: skyballs

Dear Sen. John Kerry,

I sit here in Chicago with my Michigan absentee ballot on November 03. The ballot arrived from home yesterday, Election Day. I have always had an overwhelming sense of political efficacy, despite the misgivings I have had toward the haphazardous process outlining the two national elections which I have been of age to participate in.

Right now, you are giving your concession speech in Boston. I am not able to watch, because I am at my new job, but the headlines on the internet are quickly updated. I am led to question which is the more rewarding combination: a graceful loser & a poor winner, or a poor loser & a graceful winner?

Now I wonder what meaning there is in completing & returning my absentee ballot. I am glad to vote in Michigan one more time. But Michigan has already declared you to be it's winner. Muskegon, my county, favored you, too. When I cast my belated vote for you, & I will, it will not tip any scales, great or small. It will only give me rights to claim that I participated in such an important election. After-the-fact, I, along with my community, will have done my part. A hollow ceremony, isn't it?

The things in which I find comfort for the next 4 years are small. I will manage to exist along Lake Michigan, in Illinois, Wisconsin, & Michigan, all states which attempted to redirect America's course. In 5 months, the Selective Service will no longer apply to me. above all else, I know that my local & state governments will have a more direct impact on my life than the federal government will, & I will still have greater influence than they do.

Inside, I know that choosing to live my life for myself is most important. Its only that it would also be nice if when i declare my candidate, to feel like someone could hear me.

Sincerely,


Skylar Moran

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home