Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Ashley's Survey

DIARY

Stolen from Ashley.

1. What did you do in 2004 that you'd never done before?
Get engaged.

2. Did you keep your new years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
To keep in better touch with people? I only kept it marginally.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Yes. Lyn had a beautiful daughter!

4. Did anyone close to you die?
No.

5. What countries did you visit?
None.

6. What would you like to have in 2005 that you lacked in 2004?
See #5. Also: financial security, or at least a non-temp job.

7. What date from 2004 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
6/13/2004. It was the day I proposed to Jessica and she accepted.

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
See #7. Also, the huge amount of writing I actually got done. Buying the goods for #7.

9. What was your biggest failure?
See the latter part of #6. I also think I did a mediocre job directing CP2 for the Nocturnal.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Yes. I got mugged and beaten up, and got a bruised rib from the encounter.

11. What was the best thing you bought?
See #7. Shaped like what Jessica inspires in me these days.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Jessica's!
Actually, this is a pretty good year for many people dear to me. They have made discoveries and commitments that are difficult, have been rejuvinated by life without abandoning responsibility or perspective, and have become more understanding.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
One friend became an asshole and decided I was no longer worthwhile.
One friend remained a flake and left me with no way to contact him.
One very dear friend has been persistantly unresponsive.
These are all boys, of course.

14. Where did most of your money go?
#1. Rent. #2. Rent. #3. ???

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
See #7.

16. What song will always remind you of 2004?
I Wanted to be Wrong by R.E.M.

17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a. happier or sadder?
Both and/or happier. I'm more emotional now than I've been in a long time. The lows are lower. The highs are higher. But I like intensity. Therefore, happier.
b. thinner or fatter?
Thinner. I've lost 3 pounds.
c. richer or poorer?
Poorer. I'm earning marginally more, but have much more substantial expenses.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of?
Write. Correspond. Personal financial management.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Procrastinate. Waste time. Sleep.

20. How will you be spending Christmas?
In 2005? That's a very hairy question right now. I'll be split betwixt families.

21. Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
My mom. I don't have long phone conversations with anyone else anymore. My opinion of phones in general has dropped.

22. Did you fall in love in 2004?
I fall in love with Jess every day.

23. How many one-night stands?
Only one. Sam and I dragged it in from the alley and I stuck it next to my bed. It not only holds my martini lamp but two candles as well.

24. What was your favorite TV program?
Desperate Housewives.

25. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
It's not zen to hate. But, then, it's not zen to mislead yourself about your feelings. I've come to hate Donald Rumsfeld and Condoleeza Rice with a passion I thought I'd reserved for John Ashcroft. I have a certain antipathy for #1 of #13.

26. What was the best book you read?
Oh, goodness! So many. I'd have to say The Mysteries of Udolpho by Anne Radcliffe, although The Man Who Outgrew His Prison Cell by my friend Joe Loya is only exempt because I haven't finished it yet.

27. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Orbital. Postal Service. Rediscovering Jane's Addiction.

28. What did you want and get?
Jessica, my fianceè. And the Lonely Planet Travel Book.

29. What did you want and not get?
Financial security. A non-temp job. John Kerry as my president.

30. What was your favorite film of this year?
Again, hard, hard. I saw Lost in Translation for the first time in 2004. I might venture Fahrenheit 9/11 in spite of the hype. I might venture Meet the Fockers. There are plenty I haven't seen.

31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
Jess and I went to Lawrence Fisheries (yum!) then to see Spiderman 2 at Ford City. On the way back, her car broke down, and I walked 2 miles to get the supplies. I was buried by a torrential downpour that soaked me to the skin in seconds... I turned 26.

32. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Financial security and/or a non-temp job. I applied for literally dozens.

33. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2004?
GOTHIC FUNK!

34. What kept you sane?
GOTHIC FUNK! And: Jessica, Sam, Lisa, and my family.

35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Emma Anderson and/or Miki Berenyi.

36. What political issue stirred you the most?
All of them. Wait. Yes. I felt more outrage over the continuing removal over minority voters in key states than anything else. But there was a lot to feel stirred about this year.

37. Who did you miss?
Paul.

38. Who was the best new person you met?
Again, many many. Jenny Blair. I feel like I just met my fellow interns at Ojai, even though this was my second year with them. Father Osborn. And Michael Dodd.

39. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2004:
Anything worthwhile has a co$t. Everything worthwhile is expen$ive.

40. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year:
"I kissed you in a style Clark Gable would admire;
I thought it classic."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home