Tuesday, April 27, 2004

In the Beginning of April

DIARY

or rather the end of March,
I changed my work schedule
and began leaving Monday through Thursday
at around 5:30,
and left on Fridays at noon.

On Thursday evening,
I took the El north to Berwyn
and walked in mist falling from the purple skies
to Kopi Cafè,
read and wrote my novel,
sipping soup and chewing through the seven-grain bread
and cups and cups of coffee dispensed by
my smiling waitress.

Then I walked south,
in what had become a drizzle
through Andersonville,
through Uptown,
where I bought a White Sox cap,
through Wrigleyville and Lakeview,
and I stopped awhile at the Borders on Diversey
and read.
And drank coffee.

Then I walked south,
through Lincoln Park
and the Carl Sandberg Village,
always on Clark Street.
My shoes caused friction against my heel
and gave me a dime-sized blister
as I walked through the Cathedral District
and River North,
the Loop, the South Loop,
Dearborn Park and the Near South Side,
and Chinatown.

I turned from Clark and walked southwest along Archer
stopping at a gas station
for Dr. Pepper
and sour gummy worms.
I walked southwest through Bridgeport,
and the drizzle became heavy rain,
soaking me,
but I crossed through McKinley Park,
and was home.

The next day at work was over almost before it began.
I went to the Borders and read and drank coffee until five, and went home.
I was home an hour before traveling to Lawrence Fisheries and eating catfish and drinking pop while I worked on writing and my map.
Saturday, I do not remember well, for some reason.
But Sunday I went to church at St. Maurice, then bought a Sun Times and ate a lunch at the Archview, then went home and cleaned my apartment all day long.

This was during Spring Break at the U of C, so all my friends were gone, and I could not speak to them.

~ Connor



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home