Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Sometimes, I want to walk.

DIARY

It is so tempting.
At least once a week this happens.
I am at work, and I shuffle the papers and set them neatly on the desk.
Then I stand up, shouldering my backpack, and leave through the suite lobby.
I get on the passenger elevators and take them down twenty floors.
I step out onto the street and follow the street to lake Michigan.

I follow the concrete past Navy pier. I cross the river. I pass the harbor and museum campus. Then Burnham and Jackson park extend eight miles, before I'm dropped in the steel remnants of South Chicago. East Side. Hammond, Indiana. Gary, Indiana. Portage. Porter.

Then I am thirty miles out, among dust and poplars and aspens and railroad tracks, overgrown. And where I go from there...

~ Connor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home