Wednesday, February 23, 2005

The Month of Nimbus

DIARY

Written in my journal as I watched Leno, O'Brien, and Casablanca, and culled again at 2:06 AM to an uncommon dirge by Ellington. Somewhat trunchated:

About NIMBUS from OCCLUDINE 2 9:25 POST-MERIDIAN

I'fe vallen vatally behind, which is not quite fatal.

I yarn pretermint proof rite a urinal Ike alt ha gobbled Richeters.

(Edited due to grossness).

Yuck.

I'm gross.

I haven't written much on Nimbus.
Half of it's inertia (as usual), but half is excitement! It hasn't been more emotional by and far than Noctus* (* a problem I will contemplate), but it has been more energized. My love for Jessica is bigger more wonderful more terrifying always.

A Flint is nesting on the horizon, both bigger and more wonderful than Chicago.

I've been having tea.

So.

Much has happened that a major challange is remembering what happened and when.

...

blip. Around this time I became obsessed with Tori Amos' BOYS FOR PELE which was an indespensable element of the Year of the Counterflood. I'd listen to Horses, Father Lucifer, and Marianne over and over all night.

I briefly resumed prayer.

Winter Ordinary Time was pulling me.

Nim 5 was Tues so Noc 30 was Thursday. Okay. I'm doing personal archaeology with my blog and journal to reconstruct Nimbus.


Tonight:

I remember that weekend was cold.
I remember we got a good bit of snow.
On that Saturday I might have seen Sean of the Dead with Jessica, Lisa and her friend, Meridith, and some others.

Noctus sometime we had a party at HALLIE's.

The next morning I got to Mass by 12:15.

I'm distracted by Jay Leno which is featuring a man who eats key rings, sugar (that remains dry), numbered coins, fish, and a billiard ball (8-ball). He commands them in his stomach, then "brings them up." Astonishing.

Sunday after Mass we rolled to Blue Island for role-playing. It was fun.

TUESDAY - NIMBUS 5

I had to accelerate Eventime work for Noctus (late), Nimbus (on time) and Occludine (early) because of the timing of Lent this year.

I took the El to Argyle, and ate an Anh Lin, then up to Women and Children First to spend ~$100 on books.

I got - A People History of the United States of America by Howard Zinn
- Nickel and Dimed by Barbara Ehrenreich
- The Encyclopedia of Chicago
and I ordered
- Division Street U.S.A. by Studs Terkel

Walked north on Clark to Norwood,
past Patty's house, and on home.
I ate and read and began reading Ehrenreich. We met to plan GFP #4,5.

The weekend. What was that weekend?

Ah: Michigan.

On Saturday morning Jess and I left 8:30, got in at 1:00 ate and immediately fell to eat good food and talk about the wedding.

That night we saw some movie I don't remember, and Sunday, Jess and I went to Mass and drove home.

Nimbus 12 was the music binge. Dr. Wax.

Later that week, Vodka Chess didn't happen but both Skylar and Natalie came over - goods were supplied for Vendredi Gras - Sam and I played video games.

Vendredi Gras. Paul came down.

How did it happen.
On 2/4, mid Nimbus, I got out of work by 5, raced north, and bought stock at the dollar store - beads, lights, and so on.
Lisa came down to help, then Paul arrived, and we rode to Funk w. the snotty bartendress on the red line. But first, Paul and I parked by early and it looked sort of like that picture only with more bricks.

Funk sucked by 12 of us were there, and I had 3 free drinks. We rode back home and I did rotations in the L, then Paul and I left at Bryn Mawr, stopped by his car and I was cold.

But back at Funk, Lisa was w/o ID and wandered off so paul and I looked for her. Without avail!

The party itself a haze. Attendance probably topped out around 30 but a solid 10 stayed all night. Paul crashed in my room, and the GF hardcore crowd converged for Ventredi debauchery.

(None on this, to protect both the innocent and the guilty.)

We got up at 10ish and went to breakfast at the Broadway corner diner.

Jess left for home. Paul and I talked of religion and life, taking the lake to Bryn mawr, and on to Clark and Kopi. We talked until the crowds crushed (the temp. had soared toward 50) and our table was needed. We got my book from W+CF then walked home, listened to CDs and I walked Paul to his car and he left for Wisconsin and I walked home.

It was good to see him.

After Paul left, I took a much-needed nap, but I felt a pain in my throad - that cold was coming on.

Jess and I went to Gemma's birthday party, talked and played Taboo, gave Matt and Meridith a ride home.

Next morning, I was sick as a dog.

Humphrey Bogart is not the World's Most Dangerous Man.

And Casablanca is not the World's Most Dangerous City.

But this kiss may be the last.

It remember, seeing her in 12th grade, at the very top, with dad, and M&Ms, and Princess Di died that night.

Sunday I skipped church, sick, dizzy, moaning, but Jess caed for me, and we saw Monk x 4 and Desperate Housewives x 2.

It was my Favorite Sunday.

Monday at work was sick and miserable.
Back home, my strict diet of OJ, tea, vernors, and Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup.

Tuesday I gout out early.

A week before, Lisa came to visit Sam and I and her ate Okra, talked and watched Cenci, and then Jess was sad, so I asked Lisa to take me to Hyde Park.

Sleep. Soup. Reading.

It was still Fat Tuesday, so I ate Paczkys and drank a lot.
Not wise, but necessary.

Wednesday - mysery.

Thursday - I got out early but my night was not relaxed. I waited 40 minutes for the #147, then ran 2 blcoks for the #6.

On Friday... touble at work.

On Saturday, Jess and I drove down to Ohio, and all in all, it felt like Friday. But Saturday night we rested by night at the J's. Friday night I stayed at home, went to St. Andrews, visited with Sky and Sam, left for Ohio, got in after dark. Jess went to bed and Jeff and I watched Jaws.

Sunday, morning, no Mass. There was no time, among it all. We ate fried checked and Pazckis (from Zanesville). We watched Mass in Notre Dame via TV... as Charles J often did. Then drove out to the funeral home for the showing.

On Saturday night I'd been unable to eat the noodles or soup Mr. J prepared us. But Sunday night was calm and Jess and I sat up and watched SNL.

Monday morning, early, we rode out to the funeral home and processed down to St. Nicholas.

[It was very moving. Especially the "Farewell Song." I know now that I want this song to be used at my own funeral... C.J. was a great man, who raised his family and stood with them across many difficult decades. I have the greatest respect for him.]

--> HOLD DOWN <--


We processed through the rain to Mt. Olive Cemetery, and there with umbrellas and a tent - a seven gun salute - and taps - more rain - Jeff... folded the flag.

We returned to the car and returned to Chuck and Sally's for lunch. Talking, eating, and warming by the fire. And Jess and I stopped back on Brighton, and I drove us home...

Monday had been Hell at work. I spent the last week fully getting over the flu.

On Thursday I attempted (and aborted) an exploration of Armour Square. Lisa, Sky, Nick, Meridith, and i sat in 7 Treasures over 2 hours talking. And then I went home.

On Friday, Jess and I met Tom, my godfather, for dinner. It was good to see him... my closest-to-family in Chicago, and then we raced through errands to G.F.#5, just as it started hopping.

There I saw many friends I see often. I also saw Liz, Armand, Dan and Andrea. And even others. There were over 100 there, bu truly, numbers are nothing. You simpyl haven't lived until you've seen proud and unfamiliar U of C kids pump their fists in the air with fury.

Gothic Funk. Who and where are you? How happens. But how?

^


Saturday and Sunday were lazy days. Sweet and lazy and sweet and wonderful. And Sunday I went to late Mass and saw Charles and Katie and Josie.

Yesterday. Today. Tight busy with reading.

That's just how it goes.

But it's not Nimbus anymore.

It is now a new month.

This last month then, has had

- a visit home

- MANY gatherings of friends

- much spent on books and music

- reunions with dear friends

- a debaucherous party

- a nasty flu

- warm spells

- Carnival

- Lent

- a funeral

- much reading

- cold spells

- a kickin' party

- laying around, wasting time

Saturday night, Jess and I went to Little Italy for dinner, to belatedly celebrate Valentines day. Here we are.

So you see, I really have been too busy to write much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home