Thursday, February 24, 2005

Occludine 5, 27.

CONCEPT

COMMENTS
- Yesterday I was late because I slept through my alarm. Today, early and determined, I hurried out to the stop at 7:03 and boarded at 7:10. But there must've been an accident on Lake Shore Drive, because I were at a standstill, just a few miles from work, for about a half-hour. I finally got in at 8:10, about 25 minutes late. It doesn't seem to have been a disruption, but still...
This is a good example to cite when I tell people that big city living isn't always all it's cracked up to be. My friends and relative think of my life in Chicago, they imagine the spectacular skyline, the culture and life, the different languages. But there are drawbacks; sometimes substantial.
And here is one: Transportation is always more of a gamble, and moving even short distances can be unreliable, expensive, and time consuming. In addition to the $1.75 fee to ride the bus (a little less, becuase I use a monthly pass for $75), my lateness this morning cost me about $4 in missed work, for a total of almost $6.
And that's on top of looking unprofessional.
- The weekend, the weather brings more of the same. The "cold dome" sitting on the whole great lakes region (relative to the rest of the nation) is wreaking havoc with weather on the East coast. Which always feels nice, come to think of it.
- Incidentally, I'm really enjoying getting weather information from AccuWeather - http://www.accuweather.com, because unlike most weather sites, they actually explain what's going on. I've also settled on the Adler Planetarium "What's Up" page - http://www.adlerplanetarium.org/astronomy/sky/month/2005.01.shtml for Chicago astronomical events. Michiganders might want to petition Flint's Longway Planetarium to do the same.

NATION OF THE DAY
The Virgin Islands - Territory of the United Kingdom.

WORD OF THE DAY
Eschew.

NEWS OF THE DAY
BBC News: Pope readmitted to Rome hospital

PICTURE OF THE DAY
Fantastic Landscape with Ruins. http://pre1900prints.com.

QUESTION OF THE DAY
>:(
You don't get a question of the day until more of you tell me your celebrity crushes! (viz. yesterday.) So there!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home