Friday, May 20, 2005

Oculine 30, 27.

CONCEPT

COMMENTS:
- Looking for Scav Hunt '05 resources? They are posted here.
- Yesterday, and especially last night was bizarre and productive. I spent more time and energy reviewing Star Wars than I ever expected to, but I really felt I was onto something, and also did some work for the wedding and grad school, and straightened my room. Sam fixed stir fry and rice, so we had a nice meal, and I feel bad for not doing the dishes. When I went to bed, I opened the windows all the way and started the fan on 'high,' so of course, my room was immediately freezing. And I fell asleep to the Swans. And I'd had three cups of coffee. It's a great way to guarantee delicious, messed up dreams.
- Sam wrote a comprehensive response to my arguments about Star Wars. I'm kind of exhasuted from talking about this yesterday, but I'm just going to address a couple points real quick.
1) Instead of saying "Bad CGI" I should maybe have said "Overabundant CGI" (which doesn't have the same zing). I understand why the graphics may have been necessary for, say, Yoda, even if I was unconvinced, and while I can't credit the dogfight (having missed the first minutes) I haven't really criticized it either. I would have been more forgiving if the device was used more sparingly.
2) Also, my CGI criticisms are not "nitpicking." Atmospheric effects and the like are important only because every time I see a computer generated landscape I immediately think, "that's not real." If the special effects in a movie made for special effects can't even allow a basic suspension of disbelief, the power and sophistication of the technology is lost. Or to put it another way, why would I care if Yoda's pupils dilate if I always feel like I'm watching a hologram. Or more to the point, why should they conjure up a fake-looking pretend collonaded hallway when their are hundreds of real collonaded hallways to choose from?
3) On everything else, Sam and I either disagree on point of logic/taste, agree, or are perhaps talking about different things.
- Weathorr Report. WE HAVE FOG!
- This weekend will be warm, dry, and fair.

CHICAGO NEIGHBORHOOD OF THE DAY
Near North Side.

WORD OF THE DAY
Presage.

NEWS OF THE DAY
The Flint Journal: Board approves budget despite criticism.

PICTURE OF THE DAY
Stupid Beach. explodingbeach.

QUESTION OF THE DAY
Okay, let's just get all the Star Wars crap out of the way.
...
What is your Sith name?
This one process self-invented, so apologies if it sucks. (There weren't really any good options online)
First... run your first and last name together.
Second... for letter #1, select the last consonant. For letter #2, select the first vowel. For letter #3, select the second-to-last consonant. For letter #4, select the second vowel, and so on.
Third... proceed until you run out of letters alternating vowels/consonants, or you create three syllables.
Fourth... At this point, you may, at your own discretion, add any remaining vowels to form dipthongs, or eliminate vowels that seem superflous. 'Y' is a vowel at your discretion. The number of consonants is constant, however.
Five... frefix the result with the word 'Darth'.
Six... pronounce in the most diabolical sounding manner.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home