Friday, February 17, 2006

Nimbus 28, 28.

DIARY

- TODAY - I was going to go out in search of Mario (a fellow Brooklynite), and lo! It is raining. Well, shit. I might go anyway, inasmuch as it's going to top out at thirty-three degrees tomorrow, and at least right now I can count on a little warmth. Or I could stay in Fort Greene Park to do my reading; take a walk up to Tillie's on DeKalb. What do you think?

- YESTERDAY - Was absolutely amazing. Seriously, the best day I've had this month. I was badly underslept, so I didn't get up until eleven. I spent the next several hours catching up on "morning activities," then headed off to Manhattan to look for several books I need in the upcoming week. The only one I successful found (out of six) was Gravity's Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon, a scavhunt favorite.
- But the real highlight of the evening was the first MFA student reading at which I was the final installment. Yay! The roster was packed with people I know and love: Sarah from my seminar with Frederic Tuten, Justin and Melissa from workshop, and Amy from work. And of course, beer, wine, and pizza (two of which I probably indulged more than I should have).
As the very last reader I had ample room for indulgence, but as for reading itself... I loved it. It was like being in theater again, assuming a peronality, a part, and conveying it to the kids all out there. Playing with expectations. Allowing my body and voice to move according to instinct instead of a rigorously choreographed plan. I imagine this is what dancing to techno music is like, for those who are really comfortable with it.
- A lot of my friends came to the reading as well... kids from class; Jared, Jeff, Erica, Reinhardt, Scott, and others. Afterwards, most of us went to a bar on University Drive. But since the night had gotten off to an early start, even after walking to the subway at Union Square, taking the subway to DeKalb and heading home from there, we were still in by midnight.
- In celebration, Jess treated us to Crown Fried Chicken. It's no Harold's, but it's no KFC either. I appreciated and enjoyed.
- If you're a writer (I know several read this) find an excuse to read. It's the play that follows hard on all that difficult work.
- I wish I had enough time from an RPG right now. I miss Werewolf.

- WEATHER - Ah, we've discussed this. At some point today you might expect (if you've not already experienced) to lose about a degree per minute over the course of a half hour or so.

- FEBRUARY - Is Embroidery Month.

NATION OF THE WEEK
Saudi Arabia.

QUESTION OF THE DAY
Which two musicians would you most like to see face off in a chocolate mud-wrestling? Who would win? Would it matter?

END OF POST.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home