Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Nimbus 25, 28.

DIARY

- YESTERDAY - Mondays are such a blue of business and activity that it seems to transcend being a "good" or "bad" day. I'm always left with food for thought, and I'm always a little too tired to consume it. Work went well; I conducted Bio picture searches for over two hundred scientists. From there I took the train down to the Village and finished my readings for workshop at the Giant Bagel Shop, where one can get a toasted pumpernickel bagel with lox spread and a large coffee for $3.11. After that, class, which went well except near the end when I managed to wedge two thirds of my beaten-down shoe into my mouth. I spent awhile at Spain afterwards; I'm getting to know more first years, which is nice. A delay in the trains, however, kept me from getting home until after midnight.
- WEATHER - Punxsatawney was right. And I was a fool for ever doubting him. Old friend, forgive me. This is actually a very exciting week, overall, weatherwise, just in terms of the interplay between fronts. Now that the Nor'easterner has dissipated, there's room for a relatively weak warm front to move east across the Appalacians. This will cause warmth all around, including the midwest, the New England remains the focus of interest because the warmth will cause rapid melting of all the accumulated snow. And the excitement doesn't stop there. Once the warm front has cleared, the jet stream will be able to advance southward, but instead of looping down as a specific target, it will fan out over most of the continental U.S. This will mean colder temperatures for the soggy northwest, but more significantly, it will cause storms across the plains and Atlantic. Chicago should expect a fair bit of snow, followed by a temperature plunge into the teens. The northeast has it even worse; rain will add to the melted snow causing substantial flooding. There temperature plunge (less severe than the midwest) will freeze the accumulated water, with the end effect of both general flooding damage and the added effect of freezing and melting (which is hard on sanitation systems, etc.) Watch it! Winter's here!
- FEBRUARY - Is Hobbies Month.
- TODAY - Is Valentines Day.
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY - Ice T.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"To get the full value of joy
You must have someone to divide it with."
- Mark Twain

QUESTION OF THE DAY
Devise a pithy saying, parable, or comment about love and post it here.

END OF POST.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home