Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Oracle Speaks (Delphi Deathwatch) -- #1

EVENT

Will I be $100 richer?

Now that things are heating up again, I've been gearing up for a big string of posts on Delphi and General Motors and the developments we'll be seeing later this spring and summer. In fact, I haven't had a chance to put a post together (the subject being quite complicated, and in this case, personal; I've already described how listless Flint felt on this last visit), but with all this craziness going on, I should at least start out with *something*. So:

THE FLINT JOURNAL

Rickey Hampton:
You won't be laughing when the ax falls on your job.

Andrew Heller:
Buy GM car? Probably not this time.
Parachute not gold, but it is shiny.

Laid off workers demonstrate inside Flint East.
Polish labor leader's visit inspires workers.
Plant workers seek 'plan B'.


THE DETROIT FREE PRESS

Tom Walsh:
Future Weighs in on CEOs.

GM shows its faith in Wagoner.

CEO say Delphi can save pensions.

Delphi Bankruptcy Proposal: Miller defends plan for cuts.


THE NEW YORK TIMES

GMAC Sale a Mixed Bag for General Motors

Don't Write Auto Sector Obituary Yes: Delphi CEO.

Car Parts Maker Moves to Break Its Union Deals.


THE UNCOMMON SENSE

On The Brink of Destruction...Again.

Links are sorted into editorials and articles by periodical, most recent to least.

* * * * *


Last November I made a bet with a P. Northup.
According to the bet, if the UAW strikes Delphi with the effect that GM shuts down for at least a month, then GM will declare bankruptsy within two years of the beginning of the strike.

I'm optimistic for my bet and pessimistic about everything else: so far, everything has been happening just as I predicted it.

That said, I will not blame the UAW for striking; more than my $100 is riding on this concern, and I'll explain my reasons soon.

In the meantime, I'd much rather lose, I'd much rather have pensions assures and contracts renegotiated instead of thrown out. We'll keep our fingers crossed and see what happens.

END OF POST.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home