Monday, June 11, 2007

Lunas 22, 29.

DIARY

- Last week was dominated by Silurians drafts... I drafted stories #2, 3, and 4, all of which I plan to send out for comment (I've already sent out #2). But there were a few other things going on as well.
First, since Jess is taking classes each day (in addition to work) I've become a full-time house husband, which is something I aspire to anyway. I've been doing the cleaning, the cooking, packing us lunches, etc. It's been fun so far, but that's just because I haven't gotten to any laundry yet.
A few other things were going on, though. Most notably, on Friday we saw Hedwig and the Angry Inch (lots of fun!) and on Saturday we attended the Bat Mitzvah of one of Jess' coworkers. I'd never been to a Bat (or Bar) Mitzvah before, or even, to the best of my knowledge, in a synagogue, so it was a very engaging experience. In these situations, I'm always surprised at first at the conspicuous differences between different faiths, but then again by the overwhelming number of similarities. In this case, we were in a beauful high-ceilinged room conducting Biblical readings and singing for the glory of (the same) God. Much of the focus that I am accustomed to seeing placed upon the altar was not invested in the ark. The Torah scroll was treated much as the crucifix is treated at the Presentation of the Gifts. The star of David received the same reverence as the cross.
On the subway I couldn't help thinking (in a snarky voice), People killed each other over this?
Of course, I was uber-aware at church the next day, and this made for a very rewarding experience of something more familiar. The parish was celebrating First Communions that day, and I was sitting next to a very sharp, very opinionated and warm former social worker with a great history in the church. She told me about her accomplished relatives in the midwest and Texas. Later we met with Marco and Scott. We tried to watch The Man Who Knew Too Much, but I fell asleep before it was over.

- ALMANAC SAYS -
Beware the Pogonip.

- HAPPY BIRTHDAY -
Ian ("Victor").

- NEWS OF THE WEEK -
NASA: Rare Tropical Cyclone Chuns in Arabian Sea.

- QUESTION OF THE DAY -
What is the best example of "lame" you've ever encountered?

END OF POST.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home