Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Partial Retraction re: Superintendent Walter Milton, Jr.

EVENT

Not too long I wrote a rambly off-topic post and I've let it languish because most of it wasn't worth keeping. However, there was a bit at the beginning that I thought I really needed to give a voice to, mainly because I think I had a lapse in judgment, and I want to air it before I forget. So here it is:

Last April I wrote about the resignation of Water Milton, Jr. as the Superintendent of the Flint Board of Education. I shortly received some visits and comments from Flint residents who politely and articulately disagreed. I conceded somewhat that the the bulk of their arguments made sense, but I couldn't help imagining that the "chaos" I kept hearing about was somewhat exaggerated.

Then, today, I came across this article/editorial on the subject from the Uncommon Sense. While sometimes given to hyperbole itself, this is a paper I have read for several years, and which I know and trust.

If even half of the incidents described in the article are true, then I did this subject a disservice. At best, I gave the administrators involved far too much credit, and at the worst I engaged in the sort of arbitrary apologism and excuse-perpetuation of which I'm always accusing neocons.

Quite simply, I lacked the knowledge to make the argument that I made, and now I feel bad about it.

Did the Flint Journal fail to pick these stories up?

Or did the Journal report on these incidents, and I failed to notice?

Either way, Walter Milton quite probably deserves even less credit than the little that I gave him.


END OF POST.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home