Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Gravitane 1, 30.



- Sorry for the delay in posting today. I've been busy... anyway do you like this month's background? I thought I'd go for something a little bit more intense, it being the season of All Saints, All Souls, plus the sun going to sleep for awhile.

- Yesterday I explored the Financial District. I've been there a few times, but I haven't given much proper attention, and it really is something unlike any other city I've seen. The buildings are on par with Chicago's or Midtown Manhattan's, in terms of height and grandeur, mixture of Art Deco and International Style. But Downtown also has these broken, twisty 17th century streets that make it feel more like a canyon than either of those other districts. There are some good pictures here. It's an easy place to get lost, truly, except I didn't because I'm good with maps. I stood on a manhole cover in the center of Broad and Wall St., the financial pulse of the world. I didn't have to worry about cars hitting me, obviously, since the whole area is cordoned off by iron posts and metal gates... just the occasionaly manic bicyclist. There's definitely a hushed sort of feeling to the place in the evening – Federal Hall and the Morgan Guaranty Building, the Federal Reserve and the New York Stock Exchange. While I don't consider capital to be sacred, it is interesting – and occasionally even compelling – to think that anything can be made sacred with a certain amount of secrious pursuit and contemplation. I walked north along Williams and Pearl Street, and explored the South Street Seaport. Soon, I'll go back and explore south of Wall.

The only other news was that I created a Facebook Group I'm a little too giddy about.

- QUOTE OF THE WEEK -
"How can I believe one who tells me that the sun is a red-hot mass and the moon an earth?"
- Tatian

- QUOTE OF THE WEEK (2) -
"Actually, just look at what Osam — uh — Barack Obama, said just yesterday. Barack Obama calling on radicals, jihadists of all different types, to come together in Iraq. That is the battlefield. That is the central place, he said. Come join us under one banner."
- Mitt Romney

- QUESTION OF THE DAY -
Who would you rather have as your national leader, Mitt Romney or Tatian?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home