Monday, April 27, 2009

Oculine 8, 31.



- Entering week three of no job... distinguishing features between weeks and weekends begin to disintegrate. The weekend is when my friends are more available. And the week is when I can watch Late Night with Jimmy Fallon (but hopefully fall asleep before Poker After Dark, which is usually so boring that it keeps me up). Life isn't bad, though... I'm getting nibbles and interest. I'm sure that the job search will begin getting old at some point, but it hasn't yet.

This weekend I continued my job search. I also did a lot of research for my novel Urbantasm, including reading about the formation of minerals, and the early modern era in Western Europe, the colonial Americas, and Romania.

Coolest passage I encountered in my research:

The seventeenth century is considered the golden age of old Romanian literature. The remarkable works of literature and art during this century are manifestations of a Baroque sensitivity in the sense formulated by Edgar Papu: "The expression of a highly elevated reality, continuously under the threat of being crushed by stronger forces. As a result of this tragic situation, Baroque existence adopts a defensive position of an altogether special kind, defence through an explosion of splendor as a substitute for real power. Hence, the glorious splendor of the Baroque style."


- NEWS OF THE WEEK -
I'm sure you've already heard plenty about Swine Flu, so I'll link to something silly instead.
Telegraph.co.uk: Moustachioed horse evades barbers.

- QUESTION OF THE DAY -
How often to health and safety concerns inform your decision of whether and where to travel?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Connor said...

Hardly ever. I'm opinionated about this. I think preparation for any new encounter is helpful. I also think avoiding new people and places is a great way to reinforce our own (often irrational) expectations what they are like.

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Cody said...

It's rarely a concern for me (so much so, I had a can of Root SARS in Taiwan) - That said, the opportunity to travel to a place with major health problems hasn't presented itself recently.

3:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home