Thursday, May 20, 2004

Laughing Backwards.

DIARY

I feel compelled to write today, but don't have much to write about.

Yesterday, when I was riding the El to work, I learned that I evidently trust my eyes more than my feet.

The window of the train (one of a kind) was clear and spotless, and a one-way window (to some sort of storage room?) stood perpendicular... also spotless.

I was standing because it was the morning rush hour.

Looking into the one-way window, I saw a perfect reflection of the approaching skyline behind the train tracks, factories, and bungalows. And by closing my right I, it seemed that my geographical orientation was completely different... That I approached downtown Chicago from the northeast instead of the southwest.

It got to the point where my brain even began to interpret the forward pull of the train (contradicting what I saw) as a sort of idiosyncratic jostling.

I almost fully convinced myself the train was moving backwards.

~ Connor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home