Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Tsunami Week - Sixth Installment

EVENT

CHAPTER SIX: The Postal Service and the Tsunami



Bad News: The death toll has surpassed 226,000

Good News: All throughout the last several weeks, and especially immediately after returning to Chicago, I had the song "Clark Gable" by the Postal Service stuck in my head.

I've put the lyrics together with some images of Indonesia. The pictures are beautiful, compiled by Webshots contributors. I've linked to the host pages instead of the images directly to give the photographers the best attention.

Yes, this is a cheese montage.
No, I haven't thrown in anything gruesome for shock value.
No, I don't think "Clark Gable" has much to do with tsunamis or south Asia, except for being what I happened to be listening to at the time...

CLARK GABLE by THE POSTAL SERVICE

I was waiting for a cross-town train in the london underground when it struck me
that I've been waiting since birth to find a love that would look and sound like a movie
so I changed my plans and rented a camera and a van and then I called you
"I need you to pretend that we are in love again" and you agreed to

I want so badly to believe that "there is truth, that love is real"
And I want life in every word to the extent that it's absurd

I greased the lens and framed the shot using a friend as my stand-in
The script it called for rain but it was clear that day so we faked it
The marker snapped and I yelled "quiet on the set" and then called "action!"
And I kissed you in a style that clark gable would have admired (I thought it classic)

I want so badly to believe that "there is truth, that love is real"
And I want life in every word to the extent that it's absurd
I know you're wise beyond your years, but do you ever get the fear
That your perfect verse is just a lie you tell yourself to help you get by?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home