Friday, February 25, 2005

Occludine 6, 27.

CONCEPT

COMMENTS
- The last 24-hours have been metaphysically surreal in the best sort of way. I got out of work early yesterday - 12:45 - and took care of banking and business. It started snowing and snowed densely through most of the day, but was surprisingly warm for all that. Jessica came over, and I prepared us pasta and garlic bread.
- Recently I've been listening to the 1979 single by Smashing Pumpkins a lot. Cherry and Set the Ray to Jerry. Now those are songs.
- NIGHTMARE: "I had a terrible dream last night. I was in bed "sleeping" and there was a noise from an adjacent appt. Shouting and crying and things crashing and I was sure that someone was being murdered. Far from being a hero, I didn't even call 911 because it would have meant going into the living room which was closer to the mess. For some reason, I thought the door was unlocked, or even open, and that I was at risk.
The only reason, actually, that I can be certain that this was all a dream was because toward the end I cowered between my bed and the wall, and I would have remember had I done this for real."
Additionally, when I woke up from the dream, I wasn't panicked (as I've been in the past) because I remembered that I wasn't alone... that if the dream had been real I could have gone to Sam and asked for help.
The next morning, however, I found Sam's bed empty. He went out last night to see a movie and didn't come home. So I was alone all night.
- FATE: I recently heard a homily discussing the differences between accident, fate, and destiny. Empirically speaking, what I experienced this morning was probably an accident, though spiritually it felt like fate. I was a little blithe getting ready for work, and left at about 7:07... three or four minutes later than is wise, and especially after two days on which I've been late. I feel chagrined as I walk the block to the bus stop at Sheridan and Ardmore. But "no worries," because a 147 is perched a block to the north, ready to pick us up. I was fine after all.
No. I wasn't. Because the bus was suffering some mechanical trouble, and the rest of the disturbed commuters and I strained inpatiently for the better part of ten minutes until the bus groaned by, refusing to stop, evidently returning to the garage. I was doomed.
No. I wasn't. Because another 147 swung into view almost immediately, and picked us up. I made it to work exactly on time, which was important in the end... there was a situation with a patient that required immediate attention, and nobody else had gotten in yet. Since I am the one employee with a consistant startup time from day to day (7:45), I would've been held accountable if the patient had been made to wait.
All in all, a revelatory, humbling, and pulse-jumping series of events this morning.
- WINTER: A few weeks ago, I defended Punxsatawney Phil against that landfill bastard Chuck. I said that Phil was an upright character, reading the signs right even when the results were unpopular. Now I feel vindicated. Next week's going to bring the biggest storm of the winter, even as we settle into March. Go to AccuWeather and check it out. The maps are incredible.
Basically two jet streams will merge and plunge south, and two storms will bury the midwest and the inland south. Then, they'll move northeast and converge on upstate New York, wreaking even more havoc.
- JUPITER: At 5 AM on the 27th, look for Jupiter rising to the southwest, "when it is nearly occulted by a waning gibbous Moon." (Adler Planetarium).
- 100 distinct visitors hit this blog yesterday. It's only the second time that's happened in the rough year I've maintained Blue Skies Falling. Thank you!

NATION OF THE DAY
Guernsey - British Crown Dependency.

WORD OF THE DAY
Occulted.

NEWS OF THE DAY
The New York Times: 10 Voters on Panel Backing Pain Pills Had Industry Ties

PICTURE OF THE DAY
i woke up to a nightmare. ExplodingDog.com

QUESTION OF THE DAY
What was the last nightmare you had?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home