Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Noctus 21, 28.

DIARY

- YESTERDAY - After work I stopped down at New School to print out Lisa's writing to review, and dropped by Yaffa's (one of my favorite New York places) in Alphabet City for a tea and read. Then, at 7:30, I walked over to St. Mark's Church on 2nd Ave. to see the Ontological Theater's performance of Zomboid, written and directed by Richard Foremand. My friend, Sarah Nerboso is working on the production, and was able to get Jess, Bruce, and I into the Dress Rehearsal as a test audience. Afterwards, we went to Odessa's (another favorite spot) for a late dinner, and Jess and I took the N home. A good night, with a reasonable amount of activity.
- ZOMBOID! - From experience, I've learned it's always a good idea to use caution when commenting on a friend's artistic venture. That said; just a few brief words about Zomboid!
First, it doesn't have much to do with zombies. It does, however, have a lot to do with donkeys.
Second, it was very bright, and frequently.
Third, I don't think this production can reasonably expect any audience member to deduce a plot. There is, however, enough dramatic tension to frame events a progressions as opposed to repetition, which was preferable for me, at least. And I was able to identify a protagonist.
Fourth, I think when a production is working against convention (and thereby its audience's expectation) an allowance is best made for the audience's need to "recalibrate." I personally prefer these shows to be longer, not shorter, and I would have said the same for Zomboid!
Ultimately, I enjoyed the show much as I would enjoy a music video. The sounds and images were beautiful and startling, and I wouldn't mind seeing the production again.
- WEATHER - I'm on the verge of replacing Universal Heath Care with Global Warming as my major political concern. Oh, and Seattle's entering it's twenty-third straight day of rain. Some cold air is supposed to descend on the Great Lakes... one more reason to be homesick. (Sigh.)
- JANUARY - Is the month of retail bakers.
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY - Alexander Hamilton. (I'm like Aaron Burr, the way I'm droppin Hamiltons).

PICTURE OF THE WEEK
Natural History and Wildlife Artist Karen Carr: Upper Paleozoic Landscape.

QUESTION OF THE DAY
What political issue or subject do you feel most passionate about today?

END OF POST.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home