Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Oculine 6, 28.

DIARY

- YESTERDAY - Weird. I coughed and hacked my way through work, taking pains to keep as quiet as possible. Later, workshop went well, and by well I mean interesting. I submitted the third chapter of part two of Adrift... easily the most unusual and convoluted part of the whole piece. The criticism was vigorous, and I still object strenuously to most structural objections. That said, the line-edits continue to be spot-on, and more importantly, I have a sense of how to revise. The impulse behind structural comments are telling, even if I reject the suggestions themselves. For example, a number of people have objected to the second person narrator as confusing and unnecessarily distancing. I disagree with this assessment, however, it is true that the language and voice is not precise enough to carry off the second person. Moreover, one criticism that I do think is well-advised is that there is insufficient distinction between narrative voices. Since the question of narrative source is at the center of the piece, it is a question which may be resolved. Quite simply, the "unconventional" perspecitves in the piece have not had the necessary precision to carry out their intentions. This will be the thrust of the next revision. I went home and shortly went to bed. When I first woke up this morning I was not tired. But now I am tired.

- WEATHER - In the middle of the country, big thunderstorms followed by a temperature drop. Northeast and California, rain.

- TIGERS - The Angels, by which I mean Ervin Santana and Francisco Rodriguez, ground us down. 3-0.

- APRIL - Is the month of preventing Child Abuse.
- TODAY - Is Yom HaShoah, Alice Day, and the Feast of Saint Mark.
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY - Ella Fitzgerald.

QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
- Abraham Lincoln

QUESTION OF THE DAY
Okay, here's another purity test. Should be more up our alley:
http://www.armory.com/tests/geek.html.

END OF POST.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home