Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Oneidine 22, 28.

DIARY

- YESTERDAY - I felt lousy all day long: my teeth hurt, had a sore-throat, and I was exhausted. My hypochondriac mind kicked in and imagined it all to be something dreadful, but today I feel a lot better (though still very tired). I think it's late-semester syndrome... I can't overstate now how much I prefer the quarter system: the length of semesters (and especially this second semester) is so much that I don't feel like I'm learning a lot now. I just trying to keep my sanity intact until May. Though it will be nice to be out of school in early May.
That out of the way, last night I attended a very revealing talk and reading by John Glusman (again, Urbantasm fodder) and in Workshop the writing was extraordinary and the debate energized. It was enough, actually, to set the rest of my exhaustion aside, and revel in the best of academia.
(I know that's an obnoxious sentence, but I have better things to do than revise it.)
After class I went to Spain with Andrew, Erica, and Mac. Then I went home to Jess and Sharky. I was home by midnight.

- WEATHER - The average rainfall this month is above average (a marked change from last year), but unfortunately it's all over California. The drier parts of the state have only gotten two or three times the average, while south and central California have gotten up to seven times their average amount. There are Thunderstorms in Iowa (where the jet stream makes a plunge to the north between Lake Michigan and Superior. But nothing to worry about.

- TIGERS - As Michael Rosenberg wrote this morning in the Detroit Free Press:
The Tigers lost their home opener Monday afternoon, but the day was still filled with highlights: It didn't snow, Chris Shelton was selected American League player of the week, there was no ice storm, Craig Monroe hit a two-run home run, Comerica Park drew its biggest crowd ever and the ball did not freeze in mid-flight.
And then there was this: After five innings, the Tigers and White Sox were tied, 2-2, and there was genuine tension in the air.
For the first time in years, the Tigers' Opening Day was actually about the team. Not just the smell of green grass. Not fathers playing catch with sons. Not a beloved former shortstop coming back to manage, or a Hall of Fame catcher joining a team that seemed hopeless.

It was also their first loss of a home opener in at three years. But the last two years were losing years. So can we make something of a principle of inversion here? Rosenberg also said: 'White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen said the Tigers had “the best lineup in the Central, no doubt about it.”'
Tomorrow the Tigers play the White Sox again.

- APRIL - Is the month of Holy Humor.
- TODAY - Is Mawlid an Nabi (Birth of the Prophet) in Islam, also, Barbershop Quartet Day.
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY - Meshach Taylor. And my dad!

QUOTE OF THE WEEK
"Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical."
- Yogi Berra

QUESTION OF THE DAY
What?

END OF POST.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home