Thursday, May 25, 2006

Scavhunt 2006, Post #4. Thursday Night.

CONCEPT

Also known as Trip to Chicago, Part 10.

Photos here do not represent the most extensive documentation of these events.
For a more comprehensive catalogue, please see the Offical Scavhunt Gallery.

* * * * *



196. _____ Thursday night at 6:30 PM BSLC109 transforms into a Noraebang as your team performs its Ohako at the Scav Battle of Empty Orchestra Airbands. Teams must provide their own CD back-up tracks, Japanese business men, and air instruments with non-air players. Full glitz and full glamor equal full bandoke glory. [k points]


That is, prepare karaoke for us. One of our simplest Thursday nights ever. Personally, I miss the complex and, one might say, overblown Thursday night events of the past. In particular, because of the number of things being pointed at once, teams are encouraged to come to this event in large numbers. There are advantages to both a larger and a scaled back Thursday night, but this was one of the only times we haven't filled the BSLC room, and some of what we saw was well worth seeing. Some teams were polished and some were cray-zay. A couple were both. I've therefore withheld a couple photos to protect the guilty, but I can be bought for the right price.


F.I.S.T.


Broover ???
(ed. don't worry, I wasn't pointing this one)


Pierce

It was crazy how much it was.

And probably the highlight of the night, the Shoreland's take on Yatta:









And BJ did a pretty impressive gothic eighties thing:





The gallery website says it best:
"Several hundred people from Palevsky, screaming something about the Ancient Mariner."









And to cap it all off, Snitchcock took a stab at the theme song, Rock You Like a Hurricane.



Oh, and after the kids went home, the judges threw down:



With reference to the last (judges), I have to say a couple things. I'm sorry guys, but I just can't listen to Baby Got Back anymore. It's been ruined for me. I'll never forget the day in 1995 when Tom Petty's You Don't Know How It Feels song was forever ruined for me when Flint's Big Banana 101.5 played it three times in an hour (in one case with only one song in between). In theory I can listen to a song I like a hundred times in a row (and do this often at work) but for this to work the context has to be right. If it's not, the song is pillaged as if by marauding vikings. And so, after hearing it in every somewhat sloppy-saucy movie (probably two to three a year) in the last six years as well as ads for everything from SUVs to K-Y jelly, not to mention every frat and non-frat party attended (a ratio of about 1:500), I've had to retire Baby Got Back from the list of songs I can deal with.

If you haven't noticed, the babies that are gotten in that song don't even have all that much back, when you get right down to that. I'm not completely convinced, Sir Mix-a-Lot. You know. That you're committed to what you're saying.

Anyway, they also played Move Your Feet (?) which was the best scavhunt theme song ever in and/or ever for real, and pseudo-closed out with Bohemian Rhapsody which is the perfect way to wrap a night at BSLC.

Does this have anything to do with scavhunt? Barely.
Does the "judge emeritus" care? Not really.

* * * * *



After the Karaoke, I had a burst of Judge Ennui... this actually happens to me more years than not, and I think there was a similar burst when I was a scavvy and a captain. I don't know what could cause it. Severe mental strain? Physical exhaustion? Emotional vascillation?

We walked up to Kimbark liquors and bought stock. I got two 40s of which I consumed about 65 at Courtney's before we returned to ExLibris for the next event. I needed to numb myself for what was on its way.

* * * * *



86. _____ Greasepaint runs into your eyes as your creep throught the underbrush. The glint of moonlight shows your adversary crouched in wait. Stealth, wits, and nerves of steel are requisite for you, Commando of the Quads. Each squadron should send their three camouflaged guerillas to meet at Ex Libris on Thursday at 11:00 PM, where a dangerous task will be revealed. [d points]


I think the more I bitch about something while it's happening, the more I'm having fun.

To explain the game... while Judge Lisa and Courtney, and Victor, Jim, Joe, and I went to ExLibris, the other judges hit on campus. They were only allowed to hide in a limited range of places and they had riddles to ask. Each teams' commandoes were to work alone, seeking out judges and answering the riddles to obtain signatures. But that game, of course, would be much too easy. Victor, Jim, Joe, and I were biffers. We wielded socks filled with flour (which quickly hardened in the rain) with which we "biffed" commandos whenever we caught them. Once biffed, the commandos must yell "medic" until Courtney or Lisa camed and X'ed their wrists. Three Xs, and a commando was declared "out."

All this took place over the course of an hour on the quads.

It was my absolutely favorite moment of this hunt (partly because I was able to live, for a few brief moments, the glory of the Hunt almost as a participant and not a judge, something I haven't done in six years.) But the commandos also outnumbered the biffers three to one, and I'd also had 65 oz. of heaven. I threw up a couple times during the game. I also managed to biff ten scavvies. I learned that throwing the socks was just as effective as running up behind a commando, mainly because I spent most of the hour out-of-breath and was pretty easy to outrun. And my favorite moment was a showdown with Sam. I was hiding atop some scaffolding and he was below me. I could have had him if I'd just been patient enough. But I got restless and moved about and he hear me, and when we locked eyes, he got a head start while I was jumping down. I also missed several opportunities. Four commandoes were hiding in Jess' stairwell at one time, and I could have biffed three with ease, hemmed in as they were. But I didn't want to reveal my presence. I that case, the price paid for "stealth" was too high.

I hope I get to play this game again.

Note: I realize this is overwhelmingly from the "biffer's" perspective. I anyone would like to comment on the commando, medic, or hidden judge perspective, I would be most grateful. Or if it's blogged/expressed elsewhere, I will happily link.

* * * * *



After that, it was back to Courtney's for more drinking and Soul Calibur.

END OF POST.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home