Monday, October 08, 2007

Galvane 13, 30.



- I've been deeply involved in my job search, and it's superceded writing in demands on my time lately. Some good news is that my wife and I were able to lock down a car at a pretty good deal (her parents helped us), and we'll drive it back to New York this weekend. This way, I can rent a moving truck to take our stuff to Chicago, and my wife can follow in the car when her classes are done. It is the first time I will have ever been in de facto possession of a non-GM, not to mention non-American made car. There's a little bit of guilt involved in this, especially in light of my support for the compromise GM and the UAW arrived at last week. But life is all compromises, and we didn't have the time or resources to put into a more involved search. At any rate, we'll probably have this vehicle (a used Kia) for the next couple years, then we'll sell or trade it. When we buy an actually nice vehicle, we'll be holding a better hand.
It was not the most productive weekend I've ever had. Since I've got to get my New York on while I still have a little time, on Friday I took the subway up to 155th Street in Manhattan, and worked my way through Washington Heights, Hamilton Heights, Harlem, and the upper third of Central Park. There's a lot to see: I saw the homes of about a billion jazz singers (including all of the big ones: Duke Ellington, Count Basie, Ella Fitzgerald, and company), the theater where Malcolm X was assassinated and the mosque where he taught, Alexander Hamilton's home and the estate where he duelled Aaron Burr, and a spectacular view of the Bronx from Sugar Hill. It was all something. I walked through City College, which I never applied to because its deadline was so much later than the New School's decision. I wish I would have held off for awhile, to apply, because CC had an amazing campus and the place just had a nice vibe. I saw the Apollo, obviously and the Hue-Man Bookstore and Cafe.
The rest of the weekend was a melange of short expeditions and tv. My wife and I finished the first season of Deadwood (the last episode being particularly dizzying and spectacular), so we started on Freaks and Geeks. It's okay, I guess. It's no My So-Called Life. I'll try to write more on this later. On Saturday, I met up with Marco at Tillie's and we talked about his novel, and on Saturday we went over to Marco and Scott's for a game of Axis and Allies. I played Germany this time, which was a change. I almost always end up being the Soviet Union.
I have to get a lot done this week, because my wife and I are flying to Ohio this weekend for a wedding. Wedding #5 (and the last) of 2007.

- QUESTION OF THE DAY -
Which month of the year do you think best sums up your personality?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home