Wednesday, May 26, 2004

The Rangers and the Sox

DIARY

Yesterday I needed a break.

Life has been more than a little stressful, and it boils down to drama in the last Nocturnal show, drama with my friends, and drama at work.

None of which I really want to go into on a public blog.
Little of which you would be all that interested in hearing.
But if you're curious, send me an email and I'll let you in on the nitty gritty.

Anyway, I bought half-price tix to the White Sox game against the Rangers at Comisky*.
I recently opened a bank account, so I was able to use my new, shiny charge card.
I haven't been approved for a credit card yet.
That's because I have lousy credit.

For around 20 dollars, I got a Polish and a coffee (I dispensed with two Old Styles around the -3rd inning, in the main room of my apartment) and plopped myself down on the upper deck just out from 1st base.

The game itself was a little frustrating. The Sox were never doing that bad, even though they eventually lost 7-3. Both teams managed to get in some good hitting (with the exception of Valentin, who sucked) and fielding in, and at least three dramatic steal attempts. In the end, though, Texas seemed to have an edge in their pitching. The innings kept starting at unfortunate places in Chicago's batting order. The final score wasn't all that indicative of the actual game play.

But I didn't care.

I was their to relax, to watch the sand smoothed out and hear the crowds cheering; to watch the sun set and lights flash on all over the south side.

At the end, I was going to hop a bus, but the streets were blocked off all around. So I ended up walking back. Not far; less than three miles. I walked under the rail lines as part of a huge throng which gradually melted away through Bridgeport and finally vanashed by the time I reached Lituanica. From there, occasionally a car full of kids would roar by, cheering "Sox!" and I walked through the factories north of the stockyards. I was passed by a bus for the first time at Ashland. Then I walked through McKinley Park, and got home, and went to bed.

A very nice; a very relaxing evening for once.

I am excited now, because Elisabeth, one of my best friends, is moving to Chicago tomorrow, and that's when I really expect the Occlusion Group activity to pick up. In addition she is going to help with the Nocturnal's production of Chicago Project No. 2 (which I will officially announce shortly). We're also having our last scavhunt meeting tomorrow, so I'll be running all day long.

Tonight... though... Tonight, I clean.

And maybe stop out at the Archview for a coffee.

~ Connor

* It will always be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home