Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Necrus 17, 28.

DIARY

- YESTERDAY - Was very strange. I hadn't gotten much sleep in two days (only six and four hours, respectively) and things happened in just unusual enough a sequence to give the sensation of a first impression to activities I'd been doing for months. On my way to work, I took a different subway exit that, unbeknownst to me, opens into the bottom level of a mall. It took about ten minutes to find my orientation and leave. At work I was too tired to read up on the news or work on the blog much on the side, so I mainly kept refreshing my inbox and waiting for emails. On the way out, I got into a conversation with Jean, a coworker who I'd shared the elevator with, and then accidentally got on the B train instead of the Q. The B got me close enough to New School, however, so I got off at the Washington Square Park stop, got a slice of pizza (more on this in a moment) and ate it as I walked to class. I don't normally have class on a Tuesday. This was a make-up session for the class cut from Thanksgiving week; my literary seminar. I hadn't read one of the books on time, so I spent most of the time parsing context and taking extensive notes to use later on (when I have read it). We were in a different classroom, narrow, old, cracked, white, with long narrow windows and walled radiators that coughed out dry heat. I was reminded of Wiebolt. Afterwards, I got home in time to curl up in bed during My Name is Earl and The Office. Then I slept through Law & Order and the local news. But I woke up for the first half of Leno. Strange day.
- TODAY - I'm optimistic. Much better rested.
- PIZZA - Having decided that Chicago pizza is a superior meal, but observing Gemma's comments on the social aspects of eating a New York style pizza, I've been nonetheless disappointed with the pizza I've had since getting here. I frankly think I've just been eating at all the wrong places, because something people make such a big deal about shouldn't be so mediocre, right? Essentially, the "New York" style pizza I've had has been like messy, large, flattened Dominoes. Well, I was right about something, because the pizza I ate yesterday on the walk to class (in the cold) definitely looked like the other NYC pizzas I've had, but tasted like something bigger and better. The trick was in the cheese. Slippery and gooey, hot and dense it was almost as saucy and spicy as the tomato paste, and combined with a brittle bready crust, I could see why someone might get all worked up over this stuff.

PICTURE OF THE WEEK
davidM.net: New York City pizza.

QUESTION OF THE DAY
When you embarked upon your campaign of global domination, what was your secret weapon?

END OF POST.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home