Thursday, May 25, 2006

Scavhunt 2006, Post #6. Friday Night.

CONCEPT

Also known as Trip to Chicago, Part 12.

Photos here do not represent the most extensive documentation of these events.
For a more comprehensive catalogue, please see the Offical Scavhunt Gallery.

Later in the Hunt, I started forgetting to take my camera to events. As a result, my photos become more sporadic.

* * * * *





Ahh, the party!

* * * * *


47. _____ All Tomorrow's Parties. In the not too distant future, next Friday AD, the teams will host a shindig, to the delight of you and me. Stop arguing over whether the future will be a totalitarian government dystopia or a privatized corporate dystopia and head on over to the quads for a blast from the, er, opposite of past. To help you answer the immortal question, "Whatever happened to the parties of tomorrow?", individual 'Visions... of... the Future!' will be given out at Scav Captains and the Meeting of Tomorrow. The future's so bright, we're gonna need shades. [z points]


Earlier in the day the weather reports had predicted gusts up to 40 mph and temperatures in the upper thirties that night. The judges made the decision to move the party into Cobb. A Maroon editorial would later criticize us for a lack of preparation, but I think this is ill-founded.
- First, the occasion of moving the party indoors was actually a novel step. In past years when the weather has been shitty, the party proceeded as usual on the assumption that teams must address issues of their own comfort. This year we didn't want teams to be penalized by weather, especially after the difficulty it caused the Maxwell Street market.
- Second, safety was a concern... where many times rely upon found materials (electrical or otherwise) which may or may not be safe in the rain, and where the temperature and wind was so extreme, we were genuinely concerned by issues that might arise if the party was held outside.
- Third, it makes no sense to reserve the Reynold's Club for an event that is more likely than not to take place elsewhere.
- Fourth, there is no reason to think that the same problems encountered at Cobb could not have occurred at Reynold's Club, including the damaging of property.
- Fifth, I've been involved in Scavhunt for nine years, and the party creates issues every year. Which does not beg any particular question because so have well-attended FOTA parties, and even at more tightly regulated University parties.

Which is not to say that the party went off without a hitch, or even that it wasn't especially problematic this year. The shutdown after two-and-a-half hours (instead of our typical four) testifies to this. And was personally very happy with the help we received from ORCSA throughout.

I guess my final point is that scavhunt is an evolving beast; it progresses in an irregular rhythm, and for as many starts there must be a few stops (anybody remember Thursday of 2003's Boys Gone Wilde?).

Would I say, as some have, that for all its drawback, we made the might call in moving the party to Cobb? I am inclined to think not.

Was it, as the Maroon suggests, an avoidable situation, and ought to be a source of regret on our parts or the part of teams? Again, I am inclined to think not.

One last note on this: If I was a judge next year, I'd patent some sort of scavvy-and-one-guest ticket system. I am convinced it wasn't our participants committing the most egregious offences (having had a run in with a kid who repeatedly called me a "fucking faggot"... how many scavvies have ever done that?) Or, since I'm not at the University anymore, or officially judging, I'll candidly drop a bomb. If we could keep the damn frats out of the mix, we could probably party all night.

My two cents. (If I have a bigotry in this world, it is probably that.)

Enough noise! Onto the pictures!

* * * * *




Pop and fruit juice.






Max Pav scored on #263 (Craft a completely original neon sign of your team's logo [178 points]).




Cobb: Second Floor.








I have to admit, I have no idea what this was. I didn't actually see the thing in 4-D. I only got this shot by holding my camera in the air.


And cameras can't to justice to a strobe, nor to masses of teens friends college booty scavvies moshing in a darkened classroom.




"I can't stand to fly..."


The stories I won't tell.






On the Planet of the Apes.


"Two men enter --


-- One man leaves!"




Geezer Judges: Joe A, Yours, and Dembowski.


I didn't drink much... for me this is just the camera.
For some others, however, probably the usual view...



After the rap-off things started going downhill pretty quickly. The bad news: Offences included smoking in classrooms and the stairwell, someone did puke on the third floor, and someone urinated into the vestibule from the stairwell. The good news: Only a few people were involved in the shit, and captains and teams were almost universally cooperative in both shutting the party down and helping clean up.

And I said it before, but it bears repeating (because I had a really nasty temper that night):
Thank you ORCSA. Thanks fellow judges. Thanks scavvies.

The judges all went home:


And Judge Christian --###############
################ ##### ########
##### ########### ######## ###



END OF POST.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home