Saturday, October 02, 2004

Politics #3: DEBATE FALLOUT, FLINT

EVENT: CONNOR

Not much to write today.

I began to draft a Letter to the Editor of the Flint Journal, but I don't think it's quite time.
I'm better at responding than I am at opening, I've found.

I was referred to MoveOn.org's Media Watch, which supposedly works in the same way as the DNC's Media Corps. I volunteered. I'm waiting to hear from either.

MORE DEBATE FALLOUT


In other news Survey USA conducted a rigorous poll indicating that Kerry is the perceived winner of the debate by a majority in 11 out of 14 state, running the gamut from red to blue. Most telllingly, Kerry was perceived winner in Florida by 45% to 31%. I'd also add with pride, that Kerry won by the largest margin in Detroit of any metro area: 56% to 21%

FLINT, MICHIGAN UPSET


NOTE: This is relevent to ALL OF YOU. If you have a stake in America, then you have a stake in Flint, because Flint is an articulation of how our processes and institutions have failed.

The most significant news you haven't heard about today is Flint's continual descent into a Banana Republic. In the past, I've unironically compared my hometown to the developing world, in terms of economic dependence, standard-of-living, and endemic violence. While we've always prided ourselves on the singular incompetence of our leaders, and more recently, the usurption of local power by the state, we seem to have entered a new epic era of political corruption.

In the past few months, Mayor Putin, erm, I mean Williamson, has stepped up his consistant and aggressive policy of stripping from power anyone who publicly opposes his policies, while the city council tries to fleece the financially strapped city government for back pay from the last several years, when the council's role was largely ceremonial.

I'll drop the didactic tone with Flint, which it shows signs of irking someone.
For now, though, sarcasm helps blood pressure.

Here are some links to articles on these subjects:
10/1. CITY AUDIT MAY BE LATE: http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-24/10966445643500.xml
9/30. CITY CLERK BANNED FROM CITY HALL: http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-24/109655808968900.xml
9/29. MAYOR VS. CITY COUNCIL: http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-23/1096385342268870.xml
9/25. MAYOR PULLS BAN ON NEWSPAPERS: http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-23/1096385342268870.xml
9/22. MAYOR, POLICE DETAIN NEWSPAPER CARRIER: http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-23/1095867413188420.xml

While I wouldn't describe the Flint Journal as an excellent newspaper, I think they tend to do a decent job with the resources available. That said, it's problematic that as a regional news source without major competition and implicated in a feud with the mayor, they often are in the position of reporting on issues that affect them directly.
My heart goes out to them... they seem to be taking some pains to objectivity. Still, it's a hairy paradox.

For a different perspective that I often prefer to the Journal, check out this monthly editorial paper:

THE UNCOMMON SENSE: FLINT'S VOICE OF REASON

More later.

~ Connor

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home